Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Health/Nut Obama

I'd like to inform you of two recent peices of news. They are not related, but I think you should hear about them at the same time.
Obama announced the Global Health Initiative in May of 2009. The new budget includes $63 billion over the next six to aid global public health. Being a public health major with a strong desire to educate internationally, I think this is a great priority the nation has. Having the great fountain of health knowledge that we do in the U.S., I believe it is our duty to share that valuable knowledge with others.
Second, Obama had his first physical since winning office. During election time, Obama had a reputation of a health nut. Whether or not the president is a health nut or not isn't important to me, but whether he is what he claims to be or not does matter to me. It matters quite a bit. Anyway, a couple days ago a White House Press Secretary explained he's not the healthy guy people think he is. He said, "You guys thought he, like, carried arugula in his pocket to snack on, and now all of a sudden he's ... breaking into my office looking for quarters for the vending machines." Apparently his own personal pastry chef (yes, who is paid by our tax dollars) has created many a temptation for the President. And he still smokes.

I'm just sharing two articles. One announces we need to spend $63 billion on promoting health to the world. The other explains he needs to take a smoking break and buy a hostess cupcake.

We can make a difference.

Faith

No comments: